Every driver’s license in Malaysia comes with an expiry date and it is your responsibility to renew it on time to avoid any complications down the road. Fortunately, other than renewing your license at the post office or Land Transport Department (JPJ) office, you can also renew it online on the MyEG website.
In this article, we will be discussing everything related to renewing your driving license in Malaysia including the fees, methods of renewing your license online and in person, as well as the penalty for the late renewal of your driving license. Let’s get started!
image source: JPJ.my
Renewing Your Driving License
Once you have obtained your driver’s license, you will notice a date on the card that states the expiration date. Previously, the license expiration date was a random date that is set according to the validity period that you have picked, but from mid-November 2011 onwards, the expiration date of your driving license is set to your date of birth to make it easier for drivers to remember.
You can choose the validity period for your driving license but do note that the minimum renewal duration is one year, and the maximum duration is five years.
The Cost of Renewing your Driving License
- The cost of renewing a Class A or A1 license is RM2 per year.
- The cost of renewing a Class B2, B, and C license is RM20 per year.
- The priciest is the renewal cost of Class D (car driving license) and above which is RM30 per year.
|Validity Period||Cost for Renewing a Car Driving License (D Class)|
|1 Year||RM 30|
|2 Years||RM 60|
|3 Years||RM 90|
|4 Years||RM 120|
|5 Years||RM 150|
Read More: How to Check Your Summons Online
Where to Renew Your Driving License in Malaysia
If you are afraid of missing the expiry date or don’t have your driving license with you, you can always visit JPJ’s website for all the information related to your driving license. You can check the expiry date as well as the last time you renewed your license. All you need to do is:
- On JPJ’s homepage, click on Driving License.
- Click on the ID category and choose based on your ID. For Malaysians, click on MyKad.
- Insert your MyKad number and the security code given. Make sure you follow the format and key in the correct information.
- All your information related to your driving license will be shown so that you can always keep track of your license’s expiry date.
Where to Renew Your Driving License in Person
There are various driving license renewal centers in Malaysia making it a convenient process to renew your license. While most offices are open on weekdays, JPJ offices in Urban Transformation Centers (UTC) are open on weekends including Sundays. Do note that UTCs are closed on public holidays.
Post Office (Pos Malaysia)
To renew your license at any Pos Malaysia outlet, all you need to bring along your MyKad and your existing driver’s license. Make your way to the post office early to avoid long queues.
Road Transport Department Malaysia (JPJ)
You can head down to your nearest JPJ office to renew your driver’s license. All you need is your MyKad and your existing driving license (optional – an additional photo). It would usually take less than an hour for the whole process of renewing your license here.
Urban Transformation Centre (UTC)
Most UTCs have their own JPJ branches where you can proceed with renewing your driving license. All UTCs are open on weekdays as well as on Saturdays and Sundays. However, they are closed on public holidays. You can check the locations of all the UTCs in Malaysia, the government agencies available at each center, and their operating hours on the UTC website. These UTCs with JPJ offices are:
- UTC Pudu Sentral, Kuala Lumpur
- UTC Sentul, Kuala Lumpur
- UTC Keramat, Kuala Lumpur
- UTC Negeri Sembilan in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan
- UTC Kedah in Alor Setar, Kedah
- UTC Sungai Petani, Kedah
- UTC Perak in Ipoh, Perak
- UTC Melaka, Melaka
- UTC Johor in Johor Bahru, Johor
- UTC Pahang in Kuantan, Pahang
- UTC Kelantan in Kota Bharu, Kelantan
- UTC Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu
- UTC Kuching, Sarawak
- UTC Sibu, Sarawak
- UTC Miri, Sarawak
- UTC Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
- UTC Tawau, Sabah
- UTC Keningau, Sabah
How to Renew Your Driving License Online
On the 9th of October 2020, JPJ announced that driver’s licenses can be renewed online via MyEG’s website. However, there are two licenses that cannot be renewed online and can only be renewed in person at JPJ offices. They are the:
- Learner Driving License (LDL or L license)
- Probationary Driving License (PDL or P license)
To renew your license using MyEG’s website, just follow these steps:
- Visit the official MyEG website. If you do not have an account with MyEG, create an account by clicking on the “Register Now” button and filling in the required details.
- If you already have a MyEG account, click the “Login” button, then select your nearest JPJ branch.
- Click on the “Renewing Driving License” button.
- Then, fill in all the required information and select your payment method. Before confirming your payment, make sure all the information provided is correct.
- Once completed, save the receipt as proof if necessary.
- MyEG will send you your new driving license to the address you have provided.
*A charge of RM5 is charged for delivery around the Klang Valley, RM6 for peninsular Malaysia and RM10 for Sabah and Sarawak when you renew your license online on MyEG.
Other Things to Know about Driving License Renewal in Malaysia
We all know that you need to have valid vehicle insurance and road tax to drive on Malaysian roads, and the same goes for your driving license. If you are caught driving without a valid license, you could be fined by the police or JPJ officers. Below we list some frequently asked questions about driving licenses in Malaysia.
What happens if I forget to renew my license?
If you get caught driving with an expired driving license, a fine will be imposed. The amount that you will have to pay up depends on how long your driving license has expired. Here are the penalties for driving with an expired license.
|Duration of License Expiry||Penalty|
|1 – 15 days||RM150|
|16 – 30 days||RM200|
|31 – 60 days||RM300|
Can I renew an expired driving license?
Yes, you can renew your license as usual by visiting the post office or JPJ offices as well as on MyEG. However, If your driving license has expired for three years or more, it becomes totally invalid. You can no longer renew it and you will have to go through the whole hassle of getting a new license from the very beginning. Here is what you need to do:
If you try to renew your driving license after three years, you will have to go to the nearest JPJ office where you will be issued an eRayuan letter to obtain the “L” driving license (where you will have to pay RM 30). Then, you will have to re-sit the practical driving test.
Once you pass these examinations, you still won’t be able to get your full license and will be given a two-year probationary license (P License). So to avoid all this, do check your license regularly to make sure it hasn’t expired.
How do I convert my Probationary Driving License (PDL) to a Full Competent Driving License (CDL)?
To convert your PDL to a CDL, you need to visit a JPJ office. The process can take as little as a few minutes and requires you to:
- Visit your nearest JPJ office.
- Fill in form JPJ L1.
- Get a number and wait for your turn.
- At the counter, notify the officer that you want to convert your P license to a Full license.
- Provide your MyKad and P license, and state the license validity that you want (between one to five years)
- You can provide a white background photo of yourself measuring 25 mm x 32 mm if you wish to change the picture on the license.
Can I renew my expired PDL?
The P license has a validity of one and you can renew it within a year of its expiry date. If your P license has expired for more than a year, you need to send an appeal to JPJ to renew it.
How long does a Learner Driving License (LDL) last?
Your L license needs to be renewed every three or six months while you are still learning to drive. However, its validity cannot exceed two aggregate years from the date the license was issued. If your L license exceeds two years, you will need to repeat all your classes and tests to acquire a new L license.
We hope this article will prove useful the next time you need to renew your driving license. To prevent your license from expiring, try to check its expiry date every once in a while and you’ll surely be able to stay out of trouble.
Choose Carsome Certified for Peace of Mind
If you’re looking for a quality pre-owned car, check out the large selection of cars at Carsome. Each of our cars is put through a 175-point inspection to ensure they’re free from major accident, frame, fire, and flood damage.
Additionally, every Carsome Certified car includes:
- A professional refurbishment to ensure the car is smooth and safe to drive, besides giving it refreshed aesthetics.
- Fixed prices without any hidden fees. The prices reflected include road tax, Puspakom inspection fee, ownership transfer fee, and loan application fee.
- A five-day money-back guarantee in case you change your mind.
- A one-year warranty to ensure further peace of mind.
So what are you waiting for? Visit Carsome and find your dream car today!
Can you renew your driving licence if it has expired? ›
If more than two years has passed since your driving licence expired, you may be made to retake your driving test in order to get a new licence. This is especially the case if your licence has expired due to age (driving licences need to be renewed when you reach seventy years of age) or for medical reasons.How long before my driving licence expires Can I renew it? ›
How far in advance can I renew my licence? You can apply in advance of the expiry date if you like. The new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved instead of the expiry date of your current licence. We fix 8 out of 10 cars at the roadside.Can I renew my driving license at Post Office Malaysia? ›
Post Office (Pos Malaysia)
To renew your license at any Pos Malaysia outlet, all you need to bring along your MyKad and your existing driver's license.
“However, after June 30, they will not only be fined but the licences will be revoked if they are found to be driving with expired licences of between one and three years,” he said. Mat Aris said motorists have been enjoying the leeway given to renew their driving licences for the past two years.How do I renew my driving licence 2022? ›
Go to your nearest DLTC with the following: Identity document (ID) and a copy of your ID, old driving licence card or valid South African passport. Four black-and-white ID photographs (before you have photographs taken confirm with the DLTC how many photos they require) Proof of residential address e.g. utility account ...What happens if I forget to renew my driving licence? ›
If you do not renew your licence but carry on driving, you would not have a valid driving licence and so your motor insurance would not be valid. You would be committing a serious offence which carries stringent penalties, which could include a heavy fine and having your car seized by the police.How much is it to renew license 2022? ›
After submitting all the necessary requirements, you will be asked to pay the license fee which is Php 589 pesos for both pro and non-pro license renewal. Expect additional fees if you are late and outside the grace period given by the LTO.How do I renew my driving licence in Malaysia 2022? ›
Renewal of driving licenses can be made at the JPJ State / Branch Offices, UTC, 1JPJ Counter, eServices kiosk and Pos Malaysia Berhad (PMB) offices. Applicants may renew their driving license within a minimum of 1 year up to a maximum of 5 years.How can I renew my driving licence online in Malaysia? ›
- Click on the ID category and choose the appropriate ID. For Malaysians, click on MyKad.
- Insert your ID number and the security code given. Make sure you follow the format and key in the correct information.
- All information related to your driving license will be shown.
- Original MyKad/passport of applicants or copies if the transaction is done by representatives.
- Original identification of representatives.
- Original/copy of driving license.
- Personal identification documents of the original representative.
- 1 color photo (white background) with dimension of 25 mm x 32 mm.
How long Malaysia license expired? ›
Q: How long will my driving license lapsed if not renewed? A: 1 year for the P License and 3 years for CDL License. You can appeal for the renewal with valid reasons, e.g. stay in overseas, jailed or hospitalized.How much does it cost to renew L license in Malaysia? ›
Simple! Just visit your nearest POS Malaysia OR JPJ branch and don't forget to bring along your IC and existing driver's license. It will cost you RM30 for each year. For example, should you decide on a three-year renewal, the amount will come up to RM30 X 3 = RM90.How much is the fine for driving with an expired license? ›
Late-renewal penalties, if applicable: One day to one year – P75. One year and one day to two years – P150. More than two years – P225.How do I get a new driver's license 2022? ›
- Step 1: Take a Theoretical Driving Course (TDC) ...
- Step 2: Take the written examination after the course. ...
- Step 3: Get a Student Permit. ...
- Step 4: Take the Practical Driving Course (PDC) ...
- Step 5: Pass the practical driving exam. ...
- Step 6: Take a medical exam.
We will send off your application electronically, and you should have your new licence within 3 weeks.What are the requirements for driver license renewal? ›
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must have no unsettled traffic violations.
- Duly accomplished APL Form.
- One photocopy and original LTO-accredited medical certificate.
- Original and one photocopy of PDC.
- Original valid student permit or non-professional driver's license.
You can now quickly and easily renew your driving licence online. No need to complete paper forms, make appointments or visit an NDLS centre in person.Can I renew my drivers license anywhere? ›
Where to apply? Applicants within the National Capital Region (NCR) or Metro Manila may apply for renewal at the License Section of the Central Office of the LTO in Quezon City. Representatives who are outside of NCR may apply at the field office of their choice.How much does a 2022 license cost? ›
How much will I pay to get a driver's license, you ask? The LTO charges the following fees for driver's license application as of 2022: License fee: ₱589. Application fee: ₱100.Can we renew driving licence during MCO? ›
The spokesman said the renewal of the documents can still be done physically at JPJ counters during the current MCO, but only upon phone call appointments.
What are the six points needed to renew your drivers license? ›
- At least one Primary Document.
- At least one Secondary Document.
- A verifiable Social Security Number (SSN), or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN), or a letter of ineligibility for an SSN from the Social Security Administration (SSA) ...
- Proof of address.
KUALA LUMPUR, 4 September 2021 – Pos Malaysia is very pleased to announce the acceptance of 'walk-ins' for renewal of road tax and driving licences at any of our post offices nationwide, effective 6 September 2021 (Monday), following the announcement by the Minister of Transport Datuk Seri Dr Wee Ka Siong in a press ...Can someone renew my license for me? ›
If someone else renews your licence on your behalf, you need to make sure that they have: A letter giving them permission to renew the licence. A certified copy of your ID and their own ID.What happens when driving licence expires? ›
However, if your licence has expired more than ten years, you will have to sit another theory test, apply for a learner permit, take any mandatory training and pass another driving test. You can renew your expired licence online, as normal, or book an appointment to attend an NDLS centre in person.What happens if my UK driving licence expires? ›
If your driving licence has expired, you could be liable for a fine of up to £1,000. New driving licences are initially granted for 10 years. Although the DVLA will send you a reminder letter before your driving licence expires, it is your responsibility to ensure that your driving licence is valid.Can I still drive if my licence has expired UK? ›
No. You must wait for the DVLA to reissue you with a new driving licence before you can start driving again. My last licence entitled me to drive lorries/ buses. It has expired and I am now only applying for a licence to drive a car.Can driving license be renewed online? ›
Renewal of driving licenses can be made online through JPJ Digital Platfrom - mySIKAP Portal. mySIKAP service also can be access at MyGovernment Portal through Digital Services menu.How much does it cost to renew your driver's licence? ›
A yearly fee of RM30.